Explore our state-of-the-art titanium powder plant
Our state-of-the-art powder plant produces the finest titanium powders through the fine-tuned symbiosis between man and machine. The very heart of our plant, as well as the cradle of our production, is the atomization tower that rises more than nine meters tall, and safely encloses the process of EIGA – short for electrode inert gas atomization.
A vertically oriented, rotating titanium electrode is melted at one end, through a conical induction coil. The design of the coil is optimized to achieve just the right temperature to cause the melt to drop or – when skillfully controlled – continuously stream from the electrode end. As the metal runs through a slit below it is transformed by a high-velocity stream of argon, causing the melt to atomize. The outcome is millions and millions of micro-droplets that cascade down the tower and, as they fall, solidify to forms fine powder grains of spherical perfection that are ultimately collected in an airtight container.
Breaking down the EIGA process
Once atomized the titanium is processed in the sieving tower, where a double-decker sieve separates powder grains according to their size. This is done to ensure our deliveries turn out top-of-the-line in terms of quality as well as homogeneity – since the premium consistency is one of the most appreciated areas of differentiation when it comes to Osprey® metal powders. After being thoroughly blended, a robot packs and seals the titanium powder which is then ready to embark on its journey from us – to you.
Visit our state-of-the-art titanium powder plant
Sustainability advantages of the new plant
- The manufacturing is based on 100% renewable energy.
- All melting and heating is done by electric powered furnaces.
- All internal transportation is done by electrical vehicles.
- The heat recovery system in the building reduces the energy consumption by 50 - 60%.
- All cooling systems are closed loops.
- Alloying elements and scrap for the production are sourced from Sandvik’s steel mills in Sandviken and Hallstahammar, Sweden.
- Waste material from the process is re-melted either in our own process or in Sandvik’s 75 tonnes steel mill.
- Powder metallurgy is a recognized "green" technology in itself.
- State-of-the-art atomizing plant with electrode melting
- Electrode Inert Gas Atomization technology (EIGA)
- Atomizing high-quality titanium powder with low oxygen and nitrogen levels
- Dedicated downstream sieving tower, large scale blending and packing facility
- The plant also includes a sieving tower for nickel-based superalloys
- Highly automated, ensuring even better reliability and consistency
- Full traceability, having the full supply chain inhouse – from titanium sponge to finished powder
- Producing high quality titanium powders for Additive Manufacturing
- Located in Sandviken, Sweden, close to Sandvik’s Additive Manufacturing Center
- The investment amounts to ~200 MSEK in total